Sunday, June 5, 2011

Starting over with RVM and Rails 3.1

I have done no work on this site for a long period now. In the meantime, Rails is at version 3.1, with new defaults (AssetPipeline, jQuery, Sass, CoffeeScript). I started the site in Rails 2.3.5, and while it's been upgraded to Rails 3.0.3, a lot of scaffold-generated code remains, and I think a new project generated from Rails 3.1 would have significantly different code. So since I haven't done much work on the site besides let Rails build scaffolds, I'm going to scrap the project and start over.

However, I already have a much more clear idea of what I need for the site, so starting over won't set me back far. What I know:
  • It will be hosted on Heroku (free)
  • It will have the domain name www.wikidiscography.com (which I already own and have set up to point to wikidiscography.heroku.com)
  • It will use jQuery and Sass
  • It will use BlueprintCSS
  • It will use RVM
  • Authentication:
    • Will use Devise and CanCan, but:
    • Will investigate using Rails built-in authentication to roll my own authentication system
    • Will investigate using OmniAuth to authenticate only with Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn (why store passwords and user info if I can let Facebook do it for me?)
  • It will use SQLite on my end (although Heroku ports everything to PostGresSQL on its end)
  • It will use Rails defaults whenever possible, and it will use plugins whenever possible to keep the business logic to a minimum
  • It will stay up to date. I don't want to be left in the dust anymore, so I will try to keep it pegged to the latest stable release of Rails.
  • I'm going to use RSpec and build tests before I build features
  • It will show a clearer roadmap of what it wants to be and have instructions for forking and contributing. 
This may be an ambitious list, but I think it will help me stay on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment